Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Island Life











I have to admit that it’s hard for me to resist the urge to keep pinching myself. I can hardly believe this is real. I am on a remote island in Vietnam, with coconut palms, white sand beaches clear blue water, and a bungalow set just feet from the ocean which cost us a whopping $15. The weather is the only potential draw back with occasional monsoon rains and wind, but the deep sleep that this kind of weather induces just makes it feel like part of the unbelievable package.
The awful part was what it took us to get here. We took a bus that would probably comfortably seat 10 from Chau Doc to Rach Gia. It was a 3 ½ hour bus ride and the driver managed to cram 21 of us in there. About half way there we blew a tire (maybe from all of the weight?) and we all had to get off while they changed it, which they did with an amazing swiftness (perhaps because it’s happened before?). Once in Rach Gia we were ripped off by some motor bike drivers who charged us probably 3x the going rate for a 5-7km (3-5m) ride to the port where we were then loaded like sardines onto a giant water bus/speeding, bouncing, flying death trap of a boat that took us to the island in just over 2 ½ hours. I had a bad feeling about that ride when the lady behind me lost all of her noodles (literally) before we had even left port. Either way we made it to Phu Quoc Island with sound body and lunch intact where we fiercely haggled our way into a bus ride around Duong Dong (the most populated part of the island) to find our bungalow of choice.
Right now I am sitting in a lounge chair on the front porch of our little home-for-the-moment, facing the ocean, drinking iced coffee and composing this blog. As amazing as this spot is, we are actually planning to move to a bungalow a little further up the beach this afternoon where we will have hot water, an outdoor shower, AC and Wi-Fi for $5 more (unless we can haggle our way into a cheaper price, which is quite likely).

When I pictured our trip to Vietnam this is hardly what I had in mind, now that I know what this place is like, I am going to have a hard time wanting to leave, I could easily spend the remaining 3 weeks here living the island life, but I guess, in the name of adventure, I can settle for 5 days.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! It looks and sounds like the trip to the island was worth it. Can I join you guys? ;) Have a great time and keep updating - I love reading about your adventures and seeing your pics. ~Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you are having the time of your life. Maddie says hi and that April is doing fine. We all miss you and Ray. Keep up the very
    entertaining photo journalism. You are a natural Rachel Ray.
    The Wielands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Guys! Thanks for keeping up on the blog AND taking care of my girl. It sounds like you are all doing fine as well. I miss you too and as much fun as I am having, I look forward to getting home and horsing around again. :)
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girl!
    Looks like an awsome time! You guys look great, it's so exciting that you're creating these memories and letting us all come along. Keep it up - Love Kendra and Peter
    All is well in Oly - be safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi lady!
    I just sat down to read your blog. I read from start to finish and was left wanting more. I get the feeling that you are enjoying all the benefits and struggels that traveling around foreign lands have to offer.
    The pictures are great and it was hard for me to decide what look better in the photo of you and the bowl of Pho!( you or the soup)
    Tell Ray that we all say Hi!
    kisses Emily * Craig * Warner Roo

    ReplyDelete